Data Moderator - China
About the Open Apparel Registry (OAR)
The Open Apparel Registry (OAR) is a free and open data tool mapping garment facilities worldwide and allocating a unique ID to each. The tool is used by stakeholders across the apparel sector to eliminate confusion and facilitate collaboration, enable interoperability across systems and tackle the long-standing industry problem of facility identification. We are built on the principles of "open": open data, open communications patterns, openness to ideas and new ways of working. We are a mission-driven organization and respect and value our stakeholders - they make the OAR what it is: a tool enabling collaboration across an entire sector.
Responsible to: Data Moderator & Team Administrator
In an effort to provide quality, trustworthy data to users around the world, the OAR is looking to hire a Data Moderator with knowledge of Chinese address structures, business naming conventions and, if possible, supply chains and/or production facilities. This short-term contract position will be working with the OAR’s data set of over 28,000 records for apparel facilities in China, with the goal of both reactively moderating existing data, as well as identifying opportunities for improving the processing of Chinese data in the Open Apparel Registry moving forward.
Candidates must be fluent in English, as well as Mandarin. A working knowledge of Excel (or similar programs) is required.
This role will be filled on a contracting basis at 20 hours per week for two months (beginning in June or July 2022), with the opportunity for extension.
This is a fully remote role and candidates may be based anywhere in the world.
Application Deadline: June 30. We will be reviewing applications as we receive them. We encourage interested applicants to submit a response sooner rather than later.
The OAR is committed to creating an inclusive and representative environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Ideal Candidate
This role is ideally suited to a mid-level professional, with 2 - 5 years working experience:
- 2-5 years experience working in a detail-oriented role, ideally working closely with Excel and/or data management systems
- Knowledge of Chinese geography, address structures and business naming conventions.
- Fluency in written and spoken English as well as Mandarin
- Confident in the use of Excel (or related programs), Slack and video conferencing apps
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Committed to principles of “openness”: open data, open communications patterns, openness to ideas and new ways of working
As well as the essential skills above, the following skills would be highly valued:
- Knowledge of/experience with supply chains and/or production facilities
This contract role will be responsible for the following two deliverables:
- Working through the 28,000+ Chinese records on the Open Apparel Registry to deliver a spreadsheet of duplicate entries to be cleaned. Conducting additional research as required to understand the structure of particular industrial parks, facility groups, etc. to determine whether or not records should be merged.
- Delivering a list of observed patterns in the duplicate entries occurring in Chinese records on the OAR.
To understand more about the moderation process on the OAR, see our moderation page.
To apply for this position, please submit your CV and cover letter (no more than two pages each) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Data Moderator (China) Application.”
Salary commensurate with experience and location.